GSP Rescue (SW)

German Shorthaired Pointer Dog Rescue (UK)
It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:25 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to <strong>gsprescuesw</strong>.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

Post subject: Morgan ... Pointer/Collie Cross 6mhs
PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:35 pm 

Have thanks: 0 time
Hello Sarah
Since my last update I have had two exciting holidays. Firstly I used my pet passport again and we went to France ... here is a picture of me running on the beach with my Dad.

We then went to Mull with all my Mum's family and we stayed in a big house overlooking the Loch. I am now very much a water dog and not only did I paddle but I also swam for the first time ... my Mum and Dad were so proud ... here is me in action

It was fabulous being away with all my Mum's brothers and sisters and 'Grandma' as there were loads of people to play with and take me for really long walks and the beaches were fab ... here I am at Calgary Beach.

I also went on the ferry to Iona and got lots of admiring glances and people wanting to come up and stroke me. I was a little nervous and sat with my Auntie Katie for support. However trip was worth it as yet another great beach for playing stick ... a good holiday all around.

I have had more play dates with Murphy and he came to stay recently ... we always want to have the same stick.

As you can see I am full of energy and my new nickname in the village is 'Mad Morgan' some of the neighbours love me so much I am able to greet them with big licks and kisses. We are now looking at booking a holiday to Norfolk with Murphy and his Mum and Dad so I can't wait and if all goes to plan there will be lots of photos!!

Lastly a couple of photos from my morning walk today ...

Morgan (Charlotte and Colin as well!!)

Post subject: Re: Morgan ... pointer collie cross
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:34 pm 

Hi Sarah
Well what have I been up to …

We came back from holiday yesterday it was a long car ride back from The Charante in France but I was a good boy and slept most of the way. I met another pointer cross rescue at the Channel Tunnel called Tilly her mums rescued her from a farm in Wales she was only 7 months old. We played and had a great time … they said I was a very handsome lad which I lapped up!!! I also made a big impression with the vet in France who gave me my worming tablets and 4 treats (telling me how lovely I was) … I gave her lots of kisses.
Here are some photos of me on my holiday.

Me and Dad in Aubeterre Sur Dronne

If there's a wall I always look over it!!!

Me Playing in the garden at our holiday home

We also had cousin Murphy come and stay with us in the summer for two weeks whilst his mum was in Ireland. He is still a nervous little thing at home as he is very wary of his Dad but they say I give him confidence. I showed him my Dad is nothing to be scared of and after a few days he was vying with me for who can get the cuddles first!!! I play the ‘long game’ and distract him with a toy … once he takes the bait I go in for my cuddle. Here are a couple of photos from his visit. I am now a confident river dog and swim most days.

A moment of calm!!

River Play

Lastly mum took a few close ups of me on holiday … I am a poser!

My best side!

My close up!

Looking Droopy!

Last but not least ... I cay fly ... see me go at Sudbury on the water meadows ...

Anyway … off for my walk soon … this will be number three today and one swim already!

Morgan … and Charlotte and Colin x

Post subject: Re: Morgan ... one month on.
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:26 am 
Site Admin

Doesn't he look well! :)

I had a very soft spot for Morgan when he stayed with me those years ago - he almost didn't get to leave! :lol:

But he is obviously having a much more interesting life with you than he would have had with me. All that travelling and exploring - what fun!

He really is a nice easy-going lad, and so pleased that he is able to give Murphy (another very nervous GSP who originated in Ireland) some paw-holding and moral support. In my experience, having a confident canine companion around with a nervous dog certainly makes things much easier for all concerned. So hopefully Murphy will get to realise that his people can be trusted not to hurt / scare him and will blossom further.

Meanwhile, enjoy your swimming Morgan (although be warned, you might find it isn't so much fun in the winter :wink: )

Sarah

Post subject: Re: Morgan ... our boy
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:41 pm 

Well, I am ashamed to say that it has been over a year since I last posted an update on Morgan and he has had so many adventures during this time … the most recent being sharing home with Rupert our first foster dog. Morgan has approached this new challenge in his normal laid back fashion … sharing his bed … his toys and even his dad!!

Enjoying dad time!

Morgan has enjoyed two holidays since our last update, firstly a return to Somerset but this time taking along one of his favourite people, my mum. An excellent holiday with fantastic walks and streams to splash around in, there is also a huge garden with a river at the end which just happens to be the location for many a dog walker … so plenty of friends to meet.

Playing in the garden on holiday

Beach time on holiday

Long walks on holiday

Tarr Steps was a particular favourite with loads of dogs and a shallow river, excellent for playing and sharing his favourite toy … a floating luminous green stick! On meeting two young Labradors the three boys caused bedlam when they decided the fastest way across the river was to make a mad dash across the stone bridge. For those that know Tarr Steps this is a very narrow set of stones … the ensuring scene saw Morgan run between the legs of an unsuspecting man as another grabbed up his children as the Labradors descended at full speed. This caused great amusement among onlookers … we left not soon afterwards … the shame!

Morgie’s Labrador friends … Tarr Steps in the background

Playing in the river

Morgan also enjoyed his annual trip to France … the Lot region this time. He is still bemused by the swimming pool but at least we didn’t get the frantic running around and barking as it was a little too cold to swim. There were lots of walks in the woods and on one day he met the hunt dogs … this was a time for the lead to go on!

France … long walks in the woods

Water pistols by the pool

Back in February we had a new addition to our wider family in the form of our great nephew Josh … Morgan has been a great hit and Josh is fascinated with him … as is Morgan with Josh. When Josh cries Morgan goes to his toy basket, fetches a toy, and drops it by Josh’s baby seat and then proceeds to sit near him as if waiting for him to join in with a game. Josh on the other hand loves Morgan’s tail … it being always wagging and so long … something his own dogs don’t have being pug/shitzu crosses.

We also have many new adventures ahead of us as we have bought a classic camper van and have one weekend under our belts and many days out already under our belt … here is Morgan with my mum and Bertie the Camper Van!

First Campervan holiday … my mum came along

So as Christmas fast approaches Morgan and his foster brother Rupert have already started the build up with turkey yesterday and I know that when we arrive at my mum’s tomorrow for a full-on family Christmas presents from Santa will be waiting their arrival. Will try and get some photos for Morgan’s and Rupert’s threads.

As ever we can only say a massive thankyou to Sarah for allowing us to make Morgan part of our family, he is truly loved to bits by us all and actually most of the village … but also another massive thankyou to Sarah and all the other people who help give these dogs a chance of new lives.

Our beautiful Morgie x

Merry Christmas
Charlotte, Colin, Morgan and Rupert (the foster dog) x

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:49 am 

Hi Sarah

Morgan is back to being an only dog now that Rupert is settled into his new home. Rupert pops by now and again when we have parcels delivered and the boys are always excited to see each other and cause havoc in the hall! Rupert seems to be having a great time in his new home and has firmly attached himself to his new mum, sitting on her lap in the evenings, and to the eldest son who he goes and plays cricket with … even if this means running on during practice to help get the ball!!

Morgan as always has been on new adventures since Rupert left, including his first Park Run with my brother Jason. As you know Morgan is enthusiastic and excited about all new things and loved running with all the people and remained focussed 95% of the time … but when a dog needs a wee he needs a wee!! He has now set a PB (personal best) which Jason and Morgan will be looking to beat at their next outing.

He has also had a couple of weekends away staying with my Mum where he is the absolute centre of attention for the whole weekend. He gets three walks a day which for Morgan is heaven. Meeting new dogs, and of course as important new owners. adds to the joy, especially when told how handsome and well behaved he is by them. One couple wanted to take him home as he appears to be the only dog their Jack Russell, Harry, has met ... didn't bark at ... and wanted to play with! I think it was Morgan's bottom wiggling that won him over!

We have also had our first holiday of the year with a week in the Isle of Wight. A real haven for dogs which involved lots of walks on the coastal path, twice daily trips to the beach for a swim and sitting in pubs meeting people and dogs.

Morgan has now become a consummate swimmer and will even launch himself into the sea if he sees something floating in the surf!

Morgan spotted something!

Morgan bought it back … one happy dog

He also takes his frisby to the seaside and loves to retrieve this when not beachcombing with Colin!

Playing frisby

And a spot of beachcombing …

Then a bit of rock hopping and rock pooling

We are looking forward to camping weekends this year in the campervan … so pictures to follow on Morgan’s campsite adventures.

Colin, Charlotte and our fantastic dog Morgan xxx

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 8:42 am 
Site Admin

What a wonderful update! Morgan was one of my favourite foster dogs, and had so much character even then, and he has certainly matured into a wonderful companion and enjoying life to the full! You are all having such a great time, and lovely to hear that you are still in touch with Rupert too. :) (Maybe you can persuade his family to post an update too? :wink: )

Morgan sounds s if he is going to have loads more adventures, and we hope he beats his 'personal best' soon! :lol:

Sarah

Post subject: Re: Morgan ... our boy
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:17 pm 

Hi Sarah
All well here in Suffolk and Morgan continues to be everybody’s friend. He always makes a huge impression down the pub and makes sure that everyone gets a warm welcome … which usually includes giving them the eye … a wag of the tail … and if they are up for it a kiss!!
My brother visited us from the Isle of Arran in June and despite the summer still not having arrived we took a trip to the beach in our campervan. This involved all of Morgan’s favourite things … a walk on the beach … a good swim and then a BBQ.

Playing in the sea

Setting up for the BBQ

We then had Murphy come and see us for a week whilst his mum was in Ireland and the boys had a fab time. This mainly involved running manically in and out of the French doors like demons … play fighting … greeting all the dogs that walk up and down the lane next to the garden (Murphy vocally whilst Morgan did his normal tail wagging) … and trips to the woods for a good run about.

Boys in the woods

Spot the Pointer!

Having a cuddle with Colin

Over the summer Morgan has become more and more mad about football, we blame EURO2016 which resulted in us investing in an International grade football which would stand the abuse. Here is showing off his football moves.

Playing football

He also has achieved his final goal and showed that he can be a good boy with my brother’s cats. They were always a little wary about having a dog in the house as they have two cats who have no experience of dogs … but you know Morgie and you couldn’t get a more gentle and submissive dog than him. He was a real star and after his first visit he had won their cat over and they were happy to come and say hi to the gentle giant!

Next holiday is booked and it is a big one … as it is our 25th wedding anniversary. We are taking the campervan up to Norway where Morgan is planning to swim in the Fjords. This means he can add another five countries to his passport … Netherlands, Germany, Denmark, Sweden and Norway. He is acclimatising himself to his transport for the adventure ahead.

Morgan in Campervan

We also had a visit from Rupert today … he has definitely fell on his four paws with a summer of cricket and with his mum all day as they go about their deliveries!
I know we have said this before but we can never say thanks enough for letting us take Morgan into our family … he makes us smile every day!

Charlotte, Colin and Morgie
xxx

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:50 pm 

Hi Sarah

It has been a while since we updated on Morgan … but he continues to be the friendly and happy boy he ever was. He had an epic adventure last year as he added another five countries to his travels! We took him a road trip in our campervan through The Netherlands, Germany, Denmark, and Sweden and then up to Norway.

He was brave on the ferries … even managing to charm a very nice German couple out of the sausages they were enjoying!

The beaches were magnificent and Morgie loves swimming in the sea ... here he is in Denmark all damp from a recent foray into the waves!

We also found a beautiful Fjord ... one of many in Norway ... and he had great fun running up and down the boardwalk

We took him to Oslo … here he is admiring the city landscape from the fort ..

We visited the northern tip of Denmark where he made a new friend …

He loved the campervan and being on the campsites watching everything that was going on. Here he is in the van in Sweden on the day we left for Norway.

Then some pictures of him camping ...

He especially liked cooking the toast …

Back home he has a new best friend a Wire Haired Daschund of all things … although he is large for a Daschund … called Ernest. Ernest is a puppy and his dream in life we think is to run as fast as Morgan. They make an odd pair playing on the park! He also got a new frisbee for Christmas and is becoming very adept at catching it mid-flight. We will try and get a picture.

He continues to enrich our lives every single day … he recently stayed with my mum for the weekend and the day after he came home my mum was on the phone saying she was missing him. He has that effect on people.

Here is in the sunshine at the lodge we rented in the forests in Norway … we know we are biased … but he is our handsome boy!

I hope all is well with you

Charlotte. Colin and of course Morgan
xxx

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 7:52 pm 
Site Admin

Well Morgan - what can one say? :P

Who'd have thought that an unwanted boy from the bogs (he did after all come from Ireland!) would turn into an international jet-setter and celebrity! He has always grabbed life with four-paws and not only got the most out of it for himself, but involved all those around him in his zest for, and enjoyment of, all aspects of his life.

He really has been a special boy and you have done him proud.

Well done Morgan and his extended family! :lol:

Sarah

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:01 pm 

Hi Sarah
Morgie has had a busy start to the year with holiday number three planned for the end of this month … a week in the Norfolk Broads. So far he has had four days in the Isle of Arran, we went to visit my brother and his girlfriend who live at Brodick Castle … so he had full run of the grounds. Such Fun!

The beaches were fantastic and so many walks with no lead required … which is Morgan’s dream walk. He had loads of pheasants to chase … but being canny Scottish ones they all eluded him! A week after we got back the castle and the walks were shown on Walks with My Dog … so we could say we had been there and enjoyed it.

We also did a day’s volunteering in the community garden … Morgan was not very impressed as it was too much work and not enough play!

Somerset was our next stop for a week at the beginning of April. We went back to Withypool and rented a house we have rented a couple of times before so we know it is going to be fab with great walks and dog friendly pubs. It was right up Morgan’s street as we did a couple of all day walks and the weather was fantastic as we wandered all day. Unfortunately we forgot the camera … so no picks … but we will go back again.

We have been doing some work in our garden and revealed a gate from the side of our garden into the lane that runs down to the park and fields. As you can imagine this is a regular route for all Morgan’s doggie friends and their owners from across the village. So this has been a revelation for Morgan as he waits for them to go down the lane and goes to see them … tail and whole body wagging … and more often than not gets a treat and/or a cuddle … and sometimes the offer of joining them on their walk. The only challenge is when his favourite doggie pal … Ernest the wirehaired dachshund … goes by, as he refuses to move on unless Morgan is coming … so we have to go and collect him so Ernest’s dad can continue his walk … dogs hey!

Morgan continues to be ever popular … and we have a waiting list of people who want to look after him if we go anywhere that he can’t come … which is rare! We do though try to keep everyone happy … Ken an elderly guy in the village is next on the list as he lost his Dalmatian a year or so ago and loves looking after Morgan.

Earlier this week we had a day trip to Orford and here is our beautiful boy in the Suffolk countryside.

We continue to have so much fun with Morgan and Colin and him have become inseparable … where you see one the other is always there!

Vets next week for his annual check-up … another highlight of Morgan’s year he absolutely loves the vet.

We would love to bring him to visit you one day so you can see what a wonderful dog he is.
Charlotte, Colin and Morgan
xxx

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:46 am 
Site Admin

Oh my! :D

This boy just keeps on giving (obviously courtesy of his humans in a large part too :lol: ).

He must have one of the best lives ever for any dog - lots of time with his people; plenty of other people volunteering to share him; loads of new experiences and all done with such a zest for life. I must try and see if I can contact the Irish contacts who sent him to us to point them at this thread - it must be so inspirational for people taking on an unwanted dog with a start in life that showed no signs of the adventures that Morgan would have. :D 8)

You are more than welcome to visit. I still have Lizzie and Holly here who started his introduction to home life, although not sure if they will remember him after so many dogs visiting us since. But Lizzie is very like him, and at 9.5 years still a happy energetic loon. :wink:

I trust you enjoy your holidays in the meantime.

Sarah